Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Garamond

When I accessed the AIGA design archives I found an example of Garamond on a book design. The image to the left is cover of the book "100% Evil" by Nicholas Blechman and Christoph Niemann. It was designed by Aviva Michaelov in 2004. In the description on AIGA's website, the purpose of the cover design was to "present evil in an innocent context". I believe that the designer chose Garamond to compliment the nature of the book.

I think that this project required a calm, classic, and widely recognizable typeface. The book is composed of illustrations only so that it is accessible to people from all over the world. The use of Garamond correlates with this viewpoint because it is such a classic typeface. It accents the book and I think that it was a great choice for the designers to select it.

I found it interesting that the majority of book designs that contained Garamond also had a clean, simple, and elegant feel to them, just as "100% Evil" does. I don't think that it is coincidence. Some more examples of the use of Garamond on book designs are below.

LB
Sources: AIGA.org and Amazon.com

1 comment:

April G. said...

I think it's great that the illustration on the cover of this book appears to be just a flower, until you look closer. You see that it is covered in thorns. They did a great job of conveying evil in an innocent manner! Choosing Garamond helped them out. Garamond doesn't exactly come across as evil. I enjoy that they didn't go for too blatant of a typeface. It also compliments the similicity of the book as a whole.